Showing posts from November, 2020

Pattern Emporium Lounge Dress

After I made the Pattern Emporium Palazzo Pants, I got an email announcing the release of a new pattern, the Lounge Dress.  I liked the look and since I was so happy with the Palazzo Pants, I figured I'd give it a try and use it as one of the two allowed dresses for the Pattern Review Wardrobe contest.

The pattern has several different options.  I chose the relaxed neckline, regular hem, long sleeves with pockets, of course.

I made a straight size 16 based on the finished measurements because I didn't want as much ease as is built into the pattern. For reference, my measurements are 45", 34", 45" and I'm 5' 9".  I am pleased with the fit.  It's cute, comfy and easy to wear, but I don't feel like I'm swimming in fabric.

I used a scuba fabric from my stash and it wasn't quite wide enough to cut the long sleeves, so I cut them an inch shorter to make it fit and increased the cuff width by an inch to make up the difference.  I also decided to cut the cuffs on the diagonal for a bit of interest.

I will likely make a couple more of these.  The only change I would make is I would add another inch to the long sleeves.

Pattern Emporium Palazzo Pants

Someone in one of my Facebook sewing groups posted their photos of the Pattern Emporium Palazzo Pants and I instantly fell in love with the high waisted, swooshy beauty of those pants.  So, when I was planning my makes for the Pattern Review Wardrobe contest, this was first on my list. 

I made a size 16. I am at the top of the range for this size and considered making the 18, but I'm so glad I didn't. For reference, my measurements are 45", 34", 45" and I'm 5' 9".  The pattern has cutting lines for petite, regular and tall on the pattern.  Since most of my height is in my legs, I cut the tall option, but then ended up cutting off enough so that next time I'll just cut the regular length.

I used a lovely Black Polyester/Lycra Brushed-Back Scuba Knit from Fabric Mart. It has a gorgeous drape and swishing around in these pants feels quite luxurious!

The pdf pattern itself gets a demerit because it relies on a color printer to distinguish the sizes. So if you are like me and only have a B&W printer, you either have to carefully follow your size or use the layers feature. To be fair, there is some amount of coloration difference, but it's often hard to see in the areas that are busy with a lot of lines.

I wanted these to be at my natural waist, so I tied elastic around my waist and measured from the front of the elastic, between my legs to the back elastic and compared that to the pattern. My measurement was 4" greater than the pattern, including waistband. So I added 2" each to the front and back rise, below the pocket on the front and a similar position in the back. I also originally added 1" to the yoga waistband piece (adding ½" to the waistband,) but after trying the pants on before adding the waistband, I determined that I didn't need that extra height in the waistband and cut off that extra inch before attaching.

The sew was pretty quick. I made it in a day, with the bulk of my time in cutting and altering the pattern. I made the high waisted, "subtle" flair pants (it's really only subtle in comparison to the dramatic flare option.) The finished pants fit perfectly in the waist and flare out nicely. They are very comfy to wear and will look nice with a crop or close fitting top, which is probably the only way I'll wear them.  I already have one other fabric lined up to make another pair.

Named Asaka

Well, it's been a minute since I last posted.  Although I never promised to keep to any kind of regular schedule, I did actually intend to post a bit more often than I have been!

Today I would like to talk a bit about the Named Asaka Robe.  I've made two so far; one for myself and one for my BFF.

My plan from the start was to make this pattern as a gift for my friend.  I made mine as a test sample for him to try on (and to get to have one myself!) before I cut into the fabric for his.

It has a long, 2 piece sleeve that is split below the elbow.  It gives me the ability to do things without the sleeves getting caught on door handles and chair arms like several other robes I own with voluminous sleeves.  It is such a fun item to wear!  

I lengthened the pattern by 5 inches because it is very short and I am 5' 9".   Although I didn't lengthen it any more for my 6' 1" friend, because I thought it would be funny for him to have a tiny short robe, like he was a 70s gigolo.

I made mine out of a polyester crepe floral fabric and I made my friend's out of a maroon silk/rayon charmeuse from Fashion Fabrics Club.

I bound the seams on both -- for mine, I happened to have a few packs of perfectly matching vintage seam binding that I had previously picked up at Seattle Recreative, and for my friend's I used bias strips cut from a poly charmeuse that I had in my stash.

Here is what the insides of the finished robes looked like.

The pattern isn't terribly difficult, but there are a couple tricky bits, so I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner, unless they are feeling confident and ready for something to help push them to the next level without dealing with zippers or buttonholes yet.

I can see myself making this again.  I would love to eventually make another for myself that is floor length.