Posts

Showing posts from 2020

I made a Jumpsuit!!


There are so many popular jumpsuit patterns right now!  I've been avoiding them because I hate having to get completely undressed just to pee.  But the Rational Dress Society Jumpsuit is one I've been meaning to make for years now.  So I finally jumped on the bandwagon and made it. 


This is a free pattern is quite utilitarian, which I love.  It has 248 different named sizes that are categorized by "fitted" and "unfitted", and the generalized body shapes described by I A or V.  I made size Asteroid, which is a fitted V shaped pattern. For reference, my measurements are 45", 34", 45" and I'm 5' 9".




I performed a very hacky FBA which can be seen below.  I don't have a before photo, but you can kinda see the edits I made.  This alteration also required an inch to be added to the length of the front fly pieces and I needed a longer zipper than called for.  Luckily, the one I was using was already too long, so I ended up just shortening less than I would have otherwise.


The floral denim I used has no stretch and is quite heavy and stiff, but there is so much ease in my jumpsuit that the fabric worked great.  And I used a gorgeous batik for the pocket bags.


I used a lovely salmon colored topstitching thread and sewed it with one of my other machines so that I didn't have to switch thread for every seam.  I like the way the contrast looks.


The sewing instructions are given via a series of videos and a written transcript of the videos is also provided. For the most part, I could get away with just using the written instructions, but for some of the trickier parts, I needed to watch the videos a few times to figure it out.


Turns out, the pattern is way too long in the body for me! The size I made was supposed to be for a height of 5' 6" - 5' 9" and I'm 5' 9". There is at least 6" that I can pinch out of the body without even trying.  When I make it again in the future, I will shorten the bodice by a couple inches and an inch or two from the rise and maybe even remove a little height from the waistband, because it's a little wide.  But I do actually like the way it looks belted and the one time I wore it out, that's the way I chose to wear it.


And, of course, I made a matching mask.  By now I'm sure everyone who is making masks has already found their favorite pattern.  I tried several, but my favorite pattern is the zippy mask, using a zip tie boning to keep it away from my face while I talk or breathe hard.  Most of mine just use ear loops, but I experimented with various other strap schemes and I like having one big loop on one side and a button on the other and it's been fun finding buttons that match.  For this one I had these two little pink pearlescent buttons, but I didn't think one would hold well, so I used two.  I don't love it with the two buttons and haven't worn it other than for this photo shoot, so I may end up using a different button or just converting it to use ear loops. 


I have grand plans to make this jumpsuit again for myself and one for my husband at some point in the future, but I will be drafting long sleeves for those versions.


This was a project I've been meaning to do for YEARS and I'm very glad that I finally got one made!


Named Asaka

Well, it's been a minute since I last posted.  Although I never promised to keep to any kind of regular schedule, I did actually intend to post a bit more often than I have been!


Today I would like to talk a bit about the Named Asaka Robe.  I've made two so far; one for myself and one for my BFF.


My plan from the start was to make this pattern as a gift for my friend.  I made mine as a test sample for him to try on (and to get to have one myself!) before I cut into the fabric for his.


It has a long, 2 piece sleeve that is split below the elbow.  It gives me the ability to do things without the sleeves getting caught on door handles and chair arms like several other robes I own with voluminous sleeves.  It is such a fun item to wear!  


I lengthened the pattern by 5 inches because it is very short and I am 5' 9".   Although I didn't lengthen it any more for my 6' 1" friend, because I thought it would be funny for him to have a tiny short robe, like he was a 70s gigolo.


I made mine out of a polyester crepe floral fabric and I made my friend's out of a maroon silk/rayon charmeuse from Fashion Fabrics Club.


I bound the seams on both -- for mine, I happened to have a few packs of perfectly matching vintage seam binding that I had previously picked up at Seattle Recreative, and for my friend's I used bias strips cut from a poly charmeuse that I had in my stash.



Here is what the insides of the finished robes looked like.



The pattern isn't terribly difficult, but there are a couple tricky bits, so I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner, unless they are feeling confident and ready for something to help push them to the next level without dealing with zippers or buttonholes yet.


I can see myself making this again.  I would love to eventually make another for myself that is floor length.